Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of the hottest topics when it comes to developing or fine tuning websites. Why? It’s because when your website ranks first on Google’s search results, it’s the link most people are likely to click on. In fact, recent research shows that the first organic result is 10 times more likely to be clicked on compared to the rest.
Great SEO takes time to grow along with an understanding of the different types of SEO actions needed to get the highest ranking possible. Read on to learn about the different types of SEO practices that can help your website get to the top.
What is SEO?
You probably already have an idea what SEO is, but here’s a quick recap just in case. SEO is the process through which search engine algorithms decide where your page should be ranked in their search results. The algorithms look at various factors to come up with their rankings.
The best SEO practices result in delivering the best possible on-page experience for visitors to your website.
Types of SEO
SEO algorithms combine the results of different SEO factors to determine where your website should be ranked. Let’s have a look at some of these factors.
- On-Page SEO
On-page SEO looks at what is on your webpages and how to make them more attractive to search engines and the end consumers as well. It’s important to remember that search engines trawl your entire website, not just your home page to assess your on-page SEO rankings.
On-Page SEO Best Practices:
- Optimizing your page titles, H1 headings and using H2 headings wherever necessary to make the page easy to digest.
- Good URL structure so that the URLs are intuitive and relevant as well as checking for broken links.
- Optimize images by using understandable filenames and alt text and easy-to-load file sizes.
- Creating aesthetic appeal – algorithms look at the layout as well as customer experience – the fewer pop-ups and ads, the better.
- Adopting content SEO best practices like keyword research, avoiding content duplication and producing high quality, long-form content like articles and blogs.
- Off-Page SEO
Off-page SEO is all about what you can do to promote your website in other places. It basically tells search engines that your website is popular and therefore should be ranked high in their search results.
Off-Page SEO Best Practices:
- Having backlinks to your website from other websites with high-ranking authority. It’s basically like being endorsed by a well-known website.
- Social media marketing is also an important way to get noticed by search engines. The better-known your brand is, the higher the ranking.
- Having good reviews from customers on Google reviews or on online forums also boosts rankings.
- Technical SEO
A huge part of the rankings system is the experience your website delivers to its customers and how easily SEO bots can crawl your website and index it.
Technical SEO Best Practices:
- Optimizing your website so web spider can access, categorize, and index it easily based on your content.
- Making sure your website is intuitive to use. For example, any page on your website should be accessible from your home page in three clicks or less.
- Using SEO-friendly URLs that include keywords wherever possible.
- Make sure your website loads fast – 3 seconds or less on a 3G connection is ideal.
- Making sure you have a mobile-friendly version of your website.
- Local SEO
If you run a local business in Canada, chances are you want clients in and around your area to notice you first – not someone in Timbuctoo. Optimizing your business for local SEO can help your website rank on the first page of search results for potential clients in the region.
Local SEO Best Practices:
- Have your business verified by Google and have a Google My Business Account.
- Include accurate details like your address, hours of operation, etc.
- Register your business with online directories like Yelp, Foursquare, MapQuest, and Yellow Pages.
- Optimize for voice search using long-tail keywords.
- Get high-quality backlinks from online newspapers etc.
Search algorithms are constantly evolving to deliver the best experience to users. With the right SEO guidance and implementation, the results are worth it.